Monday, August 24, 2020

Be A Wildflower

In Spreading like wildflowers from Seth Godin's Blog, Seth Godin shares,

“Build an idea that spreads like wildflowers instead.”

I want to help my students feel comfortable coming up with ideas to share with everyone. Sharing ideas with others helps a concept grow into a real thing. Yet, it makes students feel very vulnerable when they share an idea . They are afraid that someone will make fun of the idea or ridicule what they're thinking. I encourage my students not to have those negative thoughts when they are presenting an idea and I like to train my other students into not projecting negativity onto the person sharing the idea.

Many times, my husband will share an idea with me, and I tend to knock it down. He calls me the naysayer of the family. I think of all the reasons why an idea won't work when I should think of the positives. I should think about why it is a great idea and encourage this idea to grow. A better way to have a discussion would be to ask if the person can think of any obstacles that might be in the way of this idea and help the other person overcome those obstacles. This might open the door to discuss other obstacles that I think might not have been thought of.

By sharing an idea, the student might actually inspire other students to build on that idea. This would make the idea spread like a wildflower. It just needs a little sunlight , water, and soil to grow. Wildflowers usually make people happy and they're so pretty to look at . If an idea can cause happiness and cause people to feel good about themselves then it would be a great idea.

Building an idea should be like planting the seed of a wildflower and watching it grow . It should be exciting and encourage. Waiting for the wildflower to bloom will be and exciting anticipation Just like an idea that comes to fruition.

Sometimes when you voice an idea it helps to visualize the final product. Sometimes when you voice an idea you realize that it is not realistic, but you wouldn't know it if you hadn't voiced it aloud.

I do not allow my students to make fun of or ridicule anyone who shares an idea or voices an opinion. Everyone has value. There are repercussions if someone ridicules or makes fun of another student . My classroom should be a safe place to share your ideas.

How do you get students to share ideas? Please share.

Photo by George Hiles on Unsplash



No comments: