Thursday, June 11, 2020

You Are Being Watched


“While I am deeply saddened that Mr. Floyd was killed, I am grateful it was captured on a video that may be the spark needed to light fires of reform. Would more such sparks be made were cameras ubiquitous?”

I think it is important to remember that there are appropriate situations where cameras are appropriate and times when it is not. I don’t think any regulatory agency should be watching me in my home or on private property. But I do believe that cameras in public places are a good thing.

I believe that the knowledge of being watched by cameras can help control people’s behaviors.

I know that if I see traffic cameras, I’m going to be extra careful about my actions when driving. I normally follow the law but this makes me more aware of my actions and I don’t take anything for granted.

I don’t shoplift but I’m glad there are cameras that can catch people who do shoplift. This helps keep prices lower for me since they won’t be trying to recoup losses by raising prices.

I have security cameras on and around my house to protect my property. If someone comes to do harm to me or my property, it can be recorded for the police to apprehend the criminals.

I’m glad that policemen have bodycams so the actions of everybody can be reviewed. It has always been he said/she said kind of argument in courts and now there is evidence to prove what really happened.

There have been cameras in our school cafeteria that has been used to catch who started a food fight or a physical fight. It has helped catch students in places that they should not have been.

I feel that the classroom is another place that having cameras would be advantageous for all. I’ve mentioned before that I call all the parents of my students and inform them that I set up a video camera and record my classes. I also let them know that it is to help me be a better teacher and if their child comes home concerned about an issue, we can watch the video together to resolve the problem. I have never had a parent oppose my recording of the classroom.

Students are anxious at first when they see the camera but eventually get used to it and even ignore it. Yet they know that anything they go home to tell their parents can be verified by this recording, so it helps control behaviors in the classroom and allows me to concentrate on teaching.

I also feel that I teach effectively so I don’t care if I’m caught on camera or if a parent shows up unexpectedly to my classroom. I will teach the same way no matter what because I know I’m doing the right thing. In fact, in the beginning of the year, I inform the administration and the guidance counselors that I invite parents to come to my classroom without notifying me ahead of time. I do ask that they contact administrators or guidance counselors in case we have a special schedule or program that day and time they plan to visit. By doing this, I’m establishing a feeling of trust between us. They are entrusting me to teach their child the right way and act appropriately while doing this. I’m showing that I can be trusted.

How do you feel about cameras in the classroom? Please share.

Photo by Caleb Martin on Unsplash

1 comment:

doug0077 said...

The reality is that there ARE cameras in the classroom - student cameras. YouTube has many, many videos taken by students of teachers' inappropriate behaviors.

Enjoyed your post!

Doug