Monday, December 9, 2019

The Power of Prayer


According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of Prayer is “an address (such as a petition) to God or a god in word or thought.”

I am not so much a “religious” person as much as I feel I am a “spiritual” person. I don’t feel like I have to show my relationship with God and I’m blessed to have a relationship with God.

I believe in the power of prayer. I pray for many people and many times ask for prayers for me. I realized recently that some people may have felt uncomfortable when I mentioned that they were in my prayers. This only made me pray harder for them.

I pray for many family members and friends because they may be going through tough times or happy times or sometimes just because I am thinking of them and want them to be safe and happy. I pray many times during the day, and it may not be as much as a formal prayer but more as a conversation with God. I pray when I’m hiking or when I’m knitting but I pray more silently than openly, and I am comfortable with feeling okay with that.

While I was thinking about prayer, I began to think about my spiritual life.  

I have always been a Lutheran. I had my first communion and went through Confirmation in the Lutheran church. We were married by a Lutheran pastor. I continue to attend a Lutheran church and I’m proud to be a Lutheran.

Growing up in New York, I always felt uncomfortable about my Lutheran background. I loved reading the bible and attending church. I look back now and realize how hidden I kept it. I think that is why I’m so glad I moved to South Carolina. I had always heard about how it was in the “Bible Belt” so I guess I hoped that I would fit in. When I attended Furman University, it was part of the Southern Baptist Convention. I had so many friends who were so comfortable in their beliefs and sharing this with everyone. This is also the first time I learned about the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and had friends who showed what it meant to be a Christian. I had such wonderful friends who accepted me for who I was and how even though I wasn’t as open as they were, I was accepted. I felt comfortable with them. I joined the Lutheran Students Association and found other students who attended Trinity Lutheran Church. I became a member and have been a member ever since. When I got married, my husband and children became members.

As I have grown older, and possibly more mature, I have felt more comfortable in my beliefs and my prayers. I feel comfortable praying for others and letting others know that I’m praying for them. I have had great role models when it comes to prayer. I remember many of my friends at college praying openly even if I wasn’t comfortable doing that at that time. I had a dear friend, Fran, who always said a prayer out loud, when we got in her car to go anywhere. I loved how safe and cared for when she did that and I continue that practice every time I travel anywhere, even if it’s just to the grocery store.

I believe that God hears the prayers of all people, whatever religion they believe in. They may call God by different names, but I truly believe he hears us.  I try to remember not to ask God to work things out the way I want them to but rather the way he wants them to and to give me and others the strength to deal with the outcome.

I have seen how many times my prayers have been answered. I believe in the power of prayer. How about you? Please share.

Photo by Joshua Earle on Unsplash



No comments: