Thursday, December 26, 2019

Stamp Collecting




Recently my husband joined a new stamp club – Cresthaven Stamp Club in West Palm Beach, FL. They meet on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month. They are such a welcoming group of people! While my husband attends the meeting, I sit out of the way and knit but I overheard the President of the club say that stamp collecting is a dying hobby. This made me sad because I know my husband has been collecting stamps and postal items since he was a young boy and he finds so much joy in it.

This reminded me of how many times my husband has gone into his collection to give me items to use for my lessons. So many stamps have such a rich story that we should be sharing with our students.  Even if teachers don’t consider themselves a stamp collector, they could attend a stamp show and find stamps on a particular topic that interests them. Every teacher teaches particular topics in their subject area and I’m sure that somewhere, there are stamps that feature that topic. The American Philatelic Society has great educator resources. The National Postal Museum at the Smithsonian has educator resources too.  Also, the Postal History Foundation offers educator resources.

Seeing people searching at a stamp show reminds me of a treasure hunt. There are a variety of items at all different kinds of price ranges. There is something to suit a beginning collector to a serious experienced collector. Teachers could go to a vendor and explain what they are looking for. Usually, if they can’t help you, they will point you in the right direction for help.

The more I thought about this idea, I thought that once in a while I might start featuring a stamp from my husband’s collection and sharing the story about it. This will show teachers how they might be able to use stamps in their classrooms. Maybe if students start seeing the stamps, hearing the stories, and becoming aware of the idea of stamps, they might consider starting their own collection. I will try to include some activities that would go along with the lesson.

Do you use stamps in your classroom? Please share.

Photo by NOAA on Unsplash

No comments: