Monday, August 12, 2019

Theme Songs


I was listening to Gretchen Rubin’s Happier Podcast and the episode “Choose your TV Theme Song.”

I don’t really have one song that fits my life, but I mainly have four songs that run through my head when I need them. I wanted to share them and when I find them help me.

I have a lot of trouble saying no and then I get so anxious when I feel overwhelmed by a project. I get paralyzed with fear and have trouble starting. That is when I play this song and let it play in my head a few times to help me get motivated to start the project.  The main thing I need to hear is “Put One Foot in Front of the Other” from the Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer movie.



Then as I get in the middle of the project, I worry about how much work I have to do and if I will get finished in time. This anxiety can slow down my process and only make it worse. Then it becomes a vicious cycle so it is the perfect time to hear this clip. I hear Dory telling me to, “When life gets you down, just keep swimming!”


When I get to the point that I’m frustrated or something isn’t going right, I need a pep talk. That is when I play this song and it makes me feel a lot better. I need to remember that “an ant can move a rubber tree plant.” From the song High Hopes sung by Frank Sinatra.


Last, as I reaching near the end but I feel like the end is out of my reach. I listen to the theme song from one of my favorite TV shows,  Love is All Around (Theme Song from Mary Tyler Moore) and it says that “You’re gonna make it after all!”



I think this would be fun to have students try to find a theme song(s) that would help them in times of need.

What theme song(s) do you have? Please share.


No comments: