Monday, June 24, 2019

It’s a Small World



“It turns out that the pool/river/tub that we live in is far smaller than it seems. The culture of the place we work, the vibe of the community where we live. It’s all more connected than we realize.”

This reminds me of the “six degrees of separation” theory where “all people are six, or fewer, social connections away from each other. As a result, a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps.”

Years ago, I was on a Caribbean cruise and happened to meet this lady on the deck who looked familiar. She happened to be a parent of one of my students!

When we were in China years ago, a man called out to my husband in the lobby of the hotel. We found out that he lived in our town and recognized us.

While in Italy, we were on a public bus talking to another couple visiting Italy. They didn’t live in our state but they happened to know our friends who lived in our town.

So, when we have a problem with someone, it is good to remember that we may somehow be connected to them through friends and family. I try to take the high road when necessary and bite my tongue when I want to respond in a nasty way. It never hurts to remember that I respect myself and I don’t need to lower myself to their level.

My mother always told me not to burn my bridges in order to keep opportunities open. So, by controlling my emotions and my words, I am keeping opportunities open.

This is an important skill to teach my students. There are many times you want to say the things you shouldn’t but think of the future? Will I someday cross paths with this person again? Could he/she possibly interview me for a job? Could this person end up being my boss one day? Could this person be related to a close friend that I have? There are thousands of possibilities of how you may end up being connected to this person!

Have you met people who were somehow connected to someone you know? Please share.

Photo by John Barkiple on Unsplash





No comments: