Monday, March 18, 2019

Bellfest 2019

This past Saturday was Bellfest at Devil’s Fork State Park. My husband and I was asked to do spinning demos like we did last year, and we agreed. We left home at 5:30am and stopped for breakfast. We made it to the park by 8am in order to set up our stuff. We had a wonderful spot that had a lot of traffic. It lasted until 3pm.

We set up our Clam screen room which was helpful when the wind picked up. We had a  long table that displayed different types of spindles, the different fibers (alpaca, yak, cashmere, camel, and wool) and my husband’s postcard books. The books showed postcards of spinning throughout history and different cultures. I also set up a clothes rack to display the items I made from my handspun yarn. Outside the screen room I set up my spinning wheel and my Turkish spindle. I also had a big white board on an easel that explained that we were doing spinning demos and that I was not selling anything. I saw several families see the sign and come inside when they knew that they weren’t expected to buy anything. As I spun on the wheel or the spindle, people stopped to watch, and I invited them inside to see the different fibers.

Across the walkway from us was the Department of Natural Resources booth that had animal furs, and a live alligator and a live snake. Many families were fascinated by these animals. It was a great way for me to invite the children into our room after they were done with the animals.

There was a great turn out of people who attended the festival. Along with the different vendors and exhibits, there was music, dancers, and food.

The weather was a little chilly but when the sun came out in the afternoon, it warmed up a little. We had a great day at the park, and it was a chance for me to explain this wonderful art form to others. Maybe someday, one of those children will try spinning yarn and remember the time they came to the park and saw our display and demo.

Do you have a craft that you share with others? Please let me know.





No comments: