Monday, July 30, 2018

Time to Refresh My Classroom Materials

I have a wonderful friend, Patte, who has truly inspired me to look more closely at all the things that I have and whether I really need them. I tend to be a hoarder and sometimes the clutter can really bog me down. It can overwhelm me and keep me from being as productive as I want to be. She has done a lot of purging of things she really doesn’t need, and it has motivated me to try to do the same with my personal and professional belongings.

Now that summer is coming to an end, it is time to revisit materials and supplies that I have for the classroom. I need to sort everything so I can get a better idea of what to do with things. Sometimes at the end of a school year, I’m so tired that I toss everything in boxes with the plan on dealing with it later. That time has now arrived.

Things that I will throw away:
·      Things that no longer work.
·      Things that have broken parts.
·      Things that are out of date and are no longer relevant.

Things that I will give away:
·      Things that still have value, but I won’t need to use anymore.
·      Things that someone else may like but I don’t anymore.

Sort things into separate boxes:
·      Things I plan to use right away.
·      Things I will use this year but not right away.
·      Things I might use at a later time but maybe not this year.

Decisions:
Things that have sentimental value: Do I save it or just take a photo and keep the memory.
Look at the things I’ve saved and asked myself if I really need it? If so, what am I going to use it for? If I can’t answer that question, I may need to get rid of it.

I have used this process to get rid of a lot of clothing months ago and I’m very happy with my actions. I love how easy it is to find the clothes I want to wear. I have kept up my system of arranging clothes because now it is so easy.

Now I need to apply this system to other areas of my life.

What system do you use? Please share.

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash


No comments: