Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Border – Book Review

I recently read The Border by Steve Schafer which will come out this month. I read a review copy compliments of Netgalley. I am not being paid to give this review.

This story is about four high school aged teenagers in Mexico who face a major unexpected tragedy that wipes out their families one night. They don’t know what to do and decide to cross through the Sonoran Desert and get across the border to the United States. Following their trials and tribulations as they try to follow their dream is heart-wrenching. The book was so engaging and suspenseful that I couldn’t put it down! I couldn’t imagine being in that situation and agonized every step with them.

I would highly recommend this for a high school library. Since everyone in politics is talking about illegal immigration, I think this was interesting from a different perspective. Yet, if the school didn’t want to approach this topic, there are many other topics that this book addresses that are relevant to a teenager. I think this book would be one that boys would enjoy also. It would be a great book to open discussions about illegal immigrants, relationships with peers and families, trust, survival, and drug cartels.

No comments: