Thursday, September 7, 2017

Love is a Word


To leaders, is love a word you’re comfortable using? If so, what does it look like?

The word Love has always been a special word in my family. I was taught at an early age not to use that word lightly. In the same sense, I was taught not to use the word Hate lightly.

I was taught the word Love was a very personal word and used as an extreme with people that I was very close too. To avoid the word being overused or taken for granted, it should not be used randomly and without thought. I knew that when I found a man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, the word Love would really mean something.

I didn’t want to use it with casual friends or even casual acquaintances but over the years, I’ve had friends say, “I love you” to me over the phone. This always makes me very uncomfortable. I never will reciprocate because to me, that is a phrase too important to use in casual conversation. Using the word outside of special circumstances makes me feel extremely awkward and I don’t like feeling that way.

I’ve been very fond of my students and I tend to care for them very much. Because I care for them, I try to be honest and sincere with my feelings. I really want them to be happy and successful so I’m willing to help them all that I possibly can. But I must honestly say, I don’t think I have ever told a student that I loved them.

In today’s time, I’m afraid that by telling a student you love them, could lead to many unintended consequences. So, I don’t imagine I would ever use this phrase in a professional situation because I don’t think it is appropriate. If this was overheard, there are many narrow-minded people who might misunderstand the conversation or think some terrible things about the adult. Someone might even report me just for saying this without knowing any circumstances.

To me, telling someone that I love them, means that I will do anything (reasonable and legal) to help them achieve happiness in their life. I will make sacrifices if necessary because their happiness is extremely important to me. My love for my husband is so great that I would be willing to give my life up for his.

Love is not just a word in my life. It is a strong feeling that means very special things.

Are you comfortable with the word love? How do you see it? Please share.

No comments: