Thursday, July 13, 2017

Summer Reading


“Are you a social reader? Do you still tackle the big books?”

First of all, I love reading. I love to read when I’m eating, when I’m not eating, when I’m riding in the car, when I’m camping, when I’m cruising, and before I go to sleep.

I love reading fiction books like romances and mysteries. At one time I liked fantasy and horror, but I’ve lost interest in them.

I am trying to broaden my horizons and for the past 2 years, I’ve been trying to read more non-fiction. I am glad I’ve read a non-fiction book after I’ve read it but it is hard for me to get started. I avoid it and usually choose a fiction book first.

One way I’ve motivated myself to read non-fiction is by making it a yearly goal. I’m trying to read at least twelve non-fiction books a year. I would hope to read one a month but I find it less stressful to just read twelve for the year so I can read more than one some months and none on others.

I like to hear what others are reading and find interesting. When I go to my weekly knitting group, the others share what they are reading and sometimes we even share books. I have one friend who was a former librarian and she is a wealth of knowledge and information. Since she knows my goal, she is always suggesting wonderful non-fiction books that she thinks I might be interested in. I guess, once a librarian, always a librarian!

Sometimes I will tackle a big book if the plot is interesting and fast paced. I don’t like a book filled with paragraphs of descriptions. I like books to have well developed characters with lots of dialogue.

I remember reading classics when I was in high school but I’m not sure I can get into it again. I remember reading Dante’s Inferno and Homer’s Odyssey but I don’t feel I want to read them again any time soon.

Are you a social reader? What kinds of books do you like to read?

No comments: