Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Book with an Impact

In On Fire from Sioux's Page, Sioux asks,

“Is there a book that changed your life?”

I love to read and have ready many books as early as I was able to read. Reading is magical to me and can take me places I never thought I could go. It is an escape from stress or problems when I need to just get away (but a lot cheaper).

The book that changed my life was To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I was in high school and didn’t really enjoy where I was growing up in New York. Life was complicated with gangs and drugs and overcrowded areas in the 1970s. I knew that I wanted to get away from all of that and live somewhere where life was simpler and safer. After reading the book and seeing where the story took place, I knew I wanted to find a town a lot like the place I read about. I knew the story was fictional but also knew authors included things they knew about such as settings. Somewhere in the world was a place like that for me!

When we would go to South Carolina to visit my aunt, I would see the town she lived in and loved it. I knew that I would someday live there and would do whatever it took to get there. This motivated me to work hard in school so I could get scholarships in order to go to college in South Carolina. I was going to be an out of state student so there was no way I could afford to pay for the cost of going there. I had my eye on the goal and worked toward it every year knowing that I was getting closer and closer to my goal.

Every year I would also watch the movie To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck to help keep me motivated. It was also my favorite movie.

I’m happy to report that I did get to go to college at my dream school in South Carolina. Even though it was a struggle to pay the cost, it was worth every penny. Eventually I met a local guy and married him. About 20 years ago we moved to my dream town which reminds me a lot of the town in the book. I still watch the movie at least once a year but now I feel a sense of accomplishment and kinship with the town there.

What book changed your life? Please share.


No comments: