Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Leadership Traits Part 2

Goals In Welcoming New Leaders in Education from Actualization, Walter McKenzie talks about some leadership traits. He asks,

“How do these leadership traits resonate with you?”


Here is part 2 of 5 where I will share my thoughts of specific traits that he listed.

“Genuine – open and transparent in work and relationships
Anchored – in the context, climate, and culture of their learning communities
Strategic – aligning values, skills and resources to optimize their learning”


Genuine:
My students always knew which teachers were genuine or not and if they didn’t feel they were genuine, then those teachers were not trusted. If I could get my others to trust me, they are more willing to listen to what I have to say rather than thinking up with excuses or arguments against what I am saying. People are more open to new ideas and strategies if they feel that I am being genuine. I have listened to politicians talk and refuse to vote for anyone that I feel is not genuine because I don’t think they will be the right leader for me.


Anchored:
When I hike, I have some difficulty crossing over log bridges. I usually need someone to give me a hand so that I will feel anchored. I think when I am moving into new territory whether physically, emotionally, or intellectually, I need to believe that the person leading me is anchored. I need to believe that they can hold our weight until I am comfortable with this action.

Strategic:
Being strategic is extremely important. For me, this is like heading to a specific destination with a well thought out plan. This plan doesn’t have to be rigid but can allow for adjustments when needed. This might mean adjusting actions or time. But without a plan, a lot of unnecessary energy usage and possible frustrations can occur. Being strategic is important to being successful.

How do you feel about these traits? Do you agree or disagree? Please share.


Image: 'Transformational Leadership'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49053756@N03/8052329146
Found on flickrcc.net

1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pat--All three of those traits are crucial, especially being anchored and being genuine. If we don't build rapport with our students, if we don't connect with them on real level, we'll never be able to lead them through difficult and successful experiences.