Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Cat Who Came Back For Christmas - A Book Review

The CatI recently read the book The Cat Who Came Back For Christmas by Julia Romp that I found in the New Book section of my public library. This is the review that I gave the book (I am not being paid to give this review):

This story is about a single mother who is raising her son who has autism. It tells about a cat who gave this family a gift of love. Even though I have never had a child with autism, I really felt for this mother who struggled to get her young son understood. With a mother’s love, she never gave up on her son and didn’t listen to those who did. I felt truly frustrated for her. Even though she had many trying times, she constantly looked at the positives that her son brought in her life. The relationship that her son has with this cat is amazing and heartwarming. The hope and love in this book just fills you as you read it.

As a parent of children with disabilities, I highly recommend this to other parents so they won’t feel so alone. It doesn’t matter what disability your child may have, it was easy to relate to many of the struggles this parent faced.

As a teacher of children with disabilities, I highly recommend this to all teachers. This would be a great book to understand what many parents are feeling and how they see the educational system from their point of view. By hearing what this parent was feeling, it could help how teachers approach parents about their students and could help improve teacher parent relationships.

As a member of a community, I think this would be a great read for any adult. Many times we come across children who seem out of control or not disciplined. After reading this, people might be more aware that there may be other circumstances involved and not bad parenting. This might help make people more tolerant and aware of possibilities in their own community.

As you can tell, I really enjoyed this book. I didn’t expect too but the kitten on the cover appealed to me. I had no idea what this book was about and thought it would be about cats. But once I saw it was about a bond between a cat and a child with autism, it had me hooked!

No comments: