Thursday, December 27, 2012

Year in Reflection

reflectionAs the year ends, I am looking at my goals that I set at the beginning of the year and realize that I didn’t do too well this year achieving what I hoped for.

Goals for 2012

1. I will put on a cheerful face every day and be thankful for the life I have. My positive outlook will affect anyone who comes in contact with me.

2. I will lose weight. I need to lose 30 lbs. I will exercise at least three times a week.

3. I will eat better. I plan on decreasing my sugar intake and only have it on the weekends. I will eat pasta only once a week.

4. I will work on promoting my Etsy store and sell more of my knitting items. I love knitting but I’m being overwhelmed with all my knitting items that are filling my office.

5. I will be more flexible and not stress out about having a schedule for every little thing. And when the schedule is changed suddenly, I will take a deep breath, adapt, and accomplish what needs to be done without whining or getting mad.

Accomplished:

I did a great job with #1 and I think it helped keep me healthy for the year. I don’t think I was really sick (staying in bed sick) all year long. I think I take better care of myself when I’m happy and I worked on being happy all year.

I also did a better job with #5. When I was flexible and went with the flow, I was not so stressed out. In fact, I gave myself permission to enjoy the changes. It was a relief to look back and see that sudden changes actually worked out to make something better and more exciting.

Failed:

#2 - Not only did I not lose 30 lbs. but I gained 5 more!

#3 - I didn’t do well with eating better this year. I stuffed my face! I ate lots of pasta whenever I could get my hands on it! I just love the stuff. Then we were on trips and I used that as an excuse why I couldn’t eat sensibly. When we went on 2 cruises, I used the excuse I wanted my money’s worth and kept eating at the food trough!

#4 - I didn’t do much with my Etsy store this year. I’m thinking of not offering my knitted stuff but instead offering handspun yarn. I am going to give my knitted stuff as gifts instead.

While I reflect that I only achieved 40% of what I set out to do this year, I’m still happy that I achieved some of my goals. I think part of the reason for my failure was that I didn’t reflect on my progress often enough. I think I need to see these goals every week or every month. I think for this coming year, I will have them out someplace where I can see them every day like on a “sticky note” on my computer screen. I need to hold myself accountable more often instead of just at the end of the year.

How has your year been? Please share.

Image: 'Reflections'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12836528@N00/2577006675
Found on flickrcc.net

No comments: