Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Great Adventure 2011 Utah – 8/13/11

001For more pictures, click HERE

We headed to the Corona Trailhead early this morning before it got too hard. It started uphill right off the bat. First we crossed over the railroad tracks and headed across the desert to the cliffs. Eventually we came to 2 safety cabled areas which helped us cross some steep slippery slopes with ease. Don decided to stop at the second safety cable since we could see both arches from there. I decided to climb past the second safety cable and go up the ladder to this stone ledge which traveled about a half a mile to the base of both arches. I could see Don from the arches and he took pictures of me. I was worried about him standing in the hot sun so long so once I reached the arches, I didn’t stay long and returned to where he was. I had forgotten to watch carefully the route I took so I had to make several tries to find out the best place to work my way back along the steep slope. It was really hot on the way back. On the way back we stopped at the Farmer’s Market in Moab and I met a spinner (Meg Bigler) who was selling soap there. She took the time to show me how her spinning wheel worked and the basics. It was so much fun talking to her and of course, we exchanged Ravelry names!

Fiber1This afternoon we returned to Desert Thread to look at more yarn and fiber. Of course I couldn’t resist buying more local fiber at $2.50/oz. I ended up buying 18 oz. of CVM-Romney-Tunis blend. I also met the owners Cathy and Rosie who are sister. Even my hubby enjoyed talking to them. Of course we visited and talked their ears off while we were there and they never acted like we were in the way or keeping them for doing something. They were so warm and welcoming that I was glad we returned to the store again and met them. Rosie mentioned that she knew someone who lived in Asheville and I told them that they needed to come to the Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair that is held there each year. I think it would be so cool to see them again on YarnShopour side of the country! I thought the prices of their local yarn were reasonable and their fiber seemed very reasonable compared to what I was buying online. If any knitter or spinner is near Moab, I would make this shop a must for stopping!

What I Learned Today:

· I can do heights and steep slopes if there are safety cables and ladders.

· Asking someone questions about something they love to do usually sparks a demonstration if possible like the spinner who showed me how to use the spinning wheel.

· It is fun to meet local knitters and spinners.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

Original Photo: by Pat Hensley

No comments: