Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Sky is Everywhere – A Book Review

sky is everywhere (Disclaimer: I am reviewing this book for The Picnic Basket and I am not being paid for this review. Here is the review that I posted on The Picnic Basket.)

I just finished reading The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give this book a 3.

This book is about a girl whose sister died and how she handles her grief. While dealing with her grief, she is also dealing with relationships with a new boy at school, her sister’s boyfriend, her best friend, and her grandmother. I too lost my older sister when I was in high school so I understood the strong feelings of loss in the book and could relate a lot to many of the situations. During this traumatic time, relationship lines get blurry and confusing. It was a very sad and moving story though and well worth reading.

The only problem I had about the story was the references to sex. Maybe because I live in the Bible belt and I can see many conservative parents objecting to this book in schools. References to premarital sex and teenage pregnancy were glossed over. I’m not sure these sexual references were necessary for the plot of the book. I could see readers enjoying this if they read it on their own but I do not see this being used as a classroom tool.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

No comments: