Monday, August 3, 2009

Chantel's Quest for the Enchanted Medallion - A Book Review

I recently read Chantel's Quest for the Enchanted Medallion by Oliver Neubert in order to review it for The Picnic Basket (I am not being paid for this review.)

I would rate this book a 5 out of 5. It is about a 12 year old girl on a quest for four ancient relics in order to save the world. Her quest leads to many adventures which made the story interesting and exciting. At first, when I realized that this was Book 2 and that I had not read Book 1, I was afraid it wouldn’t make sense but I didn’t have to worry. The story easily made sense even without reading Book 1. I enjoyed the book so much that I didn’t want to put it down. Now I can’t wait for the next book to come out.

I think both boys and girls will enjoy reading this book. Even though it says it is appropriate for ages 8-12, I could see it being used for middle school students as well as high school special education students. In my classroom, I could see using this book as a way to teach character education (loyalty, trust, simplicity). I also think it had rich vocabulary to use with my students. It could also be used on a lesson about traveling and safety issues. The obvious lessons would be about good vs. evil, darkness vs. light and loyalty vs. betrayal. This book has so many uses for the classroom and would be a valuable tool.

No comments: