Thursday, December 4, 2008

Day 26 of 30 Days to Being a Better Blogger

Teach 42 challenges us to think about tagging.
“At it’s most basic level, a tag is a keyword that you create that serves as an identifier or link for the purposes of searching and/or filtering. By strategically tagging your posts, you provide visitors yet another way to filter through your entries without creating 100’s of categories. For example, while you may put a blog post in the Web 2.0 category, you might tag it with each individual tool and technology mentioned or referred to. Categories are generally higher level and more strategic, tags are typically used in a ‘the more the merrier’ type of approach. You’d never get criticized for using too many tags, unless you’re applying tags that have nothing to do with your post.”

When I first started blogging, I didn’t tag my posts. Then I started looking at other people’s blogs and realized that tagging helped me find their posts that I wanted to look at easier. So, I started to tag my posts with one or two words. Now thanks to Teach42, I realize that I need to use more tags than I have been. I also realize this when I want to find a specific post that I wrote about and if the tag is too general, I have to read through a lot of them just to find the one that I want. I will need to go back through some posts and edit their tags.

photo credit: Original image: 'Rosie the Blogger' http://www.flickr.com/photos/9106303@N05/2493066577by: Mike Licht

No comments: