Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Reasons and Assumptions

“The NVIV (Next Vista Inspiring Video) series of posts are written by Rushton Hurley and designed to provide students and teachers with fascinating discussion prompts.”

In Reasons and Assumptions, Rushton features Victor Hubbard, a homeless man in Texas and how the community found a way to care for him. 

Rushton gives the following prompts to accompany this video:

“Do you know people who have special challenges, but most people don’t know the reason why? How do you learn more while still valuing that person?

What do you assume about yourself? Are there people trying to help you see yourself from new perspectives? Do you let them?”


This video hit close to home. I worry about my students with special needs and what will happen to them when they leave school. Will the community step up when they see my student in need or will they shun and ridicule him. By making people more aware of the possibilities, it might make communities realize how they can help someone like this. Another concern is that will my students accept the help offered to them? Will they know the difference between being helped and being used? I guess I'm a mother hen and will always worry about my students. 

Please check out the video and think of other prompts you might come up with. Please share.

No comments: