Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Making a Difference

Recently I heard from two parents of former students on Facebook. They let me know how much they still appreciated what I had done for their children. Their children are in their late 30s and early 40s now and they still remember me. It is really nice to hear that I made a difference in their lives and it was worth it. As I told one mother, she helped encourage me when I felt discouraged by letting me know that I was making a difference.


So here is some advice to new and struggling teachers: 

You are making a difference even if you don’t see it. You might be lucky enough twenty years from now to hear from a former student and find out how you have made a difference. You might never find out. But either way, know you are making a difference. Whatever struggles and obstacles you face, believe me, it is worth it.

For parents:

Don’t assume that teachers are always confident. Take time to say a kind word and offer encouragement. It might be these small acts of kindness that keep good teachers around. It is easy to complain about bad teachers but don’t forget to show appreciation to the good ones who are quietly working in the background. They need good parents to let them know their hard work is being noticed.

Know that teachers and parents can both make a difference!

Screenshots by Pat Hensley

No comments: