Wednesday, April 1, 2020

April Fool’s Day

Happy April Fool’s Day!

The origin of this day is unknown. Some historians think it goes back to 1582 when we switched to the Gregorian Calendar which began the year on January 1. Those who continued to celebrate the year through April 1 was made fun of. Some of the pranks included putting paper fishes on their backs which symbolized them as a young easily caught fish and very gullible.

I have heard many crazy hoaxes on this day and some were funny, especially since it didn’t interfere with my life. I have heard my radio station talk about how the interstate through my town was going to become a toll road. In 1957, BBC said that Swiss farmers had a record spaghetti crop and showed them harvesting noodles from trees. In 1996, Taco Bell said they would purchase the Liberty Bell and rename it The Taco Liberty Bell.

On this day, I always look forward to trying to pick out the hoax of the day.

What was your favorite April Fool’s Day hoax? Please share.


No comments: