Thursday, November 30, 2017

Be Bold

In How Dare You Try to Be Great? From  @DavidGeurin Blog, David Geurin shares,

“People may not always appreciate your gift, but don't let that stop you from using it. Don't let someone else keep you from pursuing excellence.”

Many times, growing up I was told not to brag, not to be so openly confident. People don’t like those that are braggarts. This seemed to be drilled into my head so it is hard for me to distinguish bragging and feeling proud of myself.

I feel like I was a good teacher. No, let me rephrase that. I feel like I was a great teacher! And one of the reasons I was great was because of the communication and rapport I had with my student’s parents. I worked hard at it and took a lot of my own personal time to establish this relationship. It never failed me in the 30 years I worked in the public schools. So, it really stunned me when I was in meetings during those years when other teachers would glare at me during parent conferences or pull me aside later to let me know that I “made them look bad.” In fact, one teacher actually had the nerve to ask me to stop calling the parents so often because it made them look slack. I was constantly told that because I had a special education class with smaller numbers, I could do this and the regular teachers couldn’t. I’m sorry but that is their choice and not mine. I felt there were a lot of differences between us and who had the right to decide who worked “harder”? I understand that my actions might not work for them but don’t try to stop me from doing what works for me.

I didn’t let these opinions keep me from doing what I believed in my heart was the right thing to do. And I’m glad I didn’t because I believe that relationship with parents helped me continue to enjoy teaching.

When I was recognized as our state Special Education Teacher of the Year, my school did not make a big thing about it. In fact, one teacher laughed and said that I just liked the attention. Yes, I was proud of my accomplishments and why shouldn’t I deserve some attention. I felt that others tried to make me feel ashamed that my accomplishments were brought into the spotlight.

This is one reason I like to feature teachers in my blog. If a colleague notices them doing something innovative or feels like they are an outstanding teacher, I think it is important for them to be recognized. I don’t want others to feel like I did when I was recognized.

So even though others may not see or appreciate your gifts, don’t’ let anyone stop you from using it. Don’t let others keep you from doing what you know in your heart is the right thing, the best thing.

What do you do that makes you stand out or seem special? Don’t be modest or shy. Please share.


No comments: