Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Always a Teacher

In Living Life as a Teacher Is Noble Enough from Cool Cat Teacher Blog, coolcatteacher@gmail.com (Victoria A Davis, Cool Cat Teacher) shares,

“You can take the teacher out of the classroom, but you can’t take the classroom out of the teacher.”

My husband is always telling me that I put my teacher hat on whenever I’m around children who are misbehaving.

When we were recently at the movies, a little girl was banging on the arm rest next to me. I asked her several times to stop but she didn’t. The adults she was with were ignoring her. I finally told her in a stern voice that I was going to go get an usher to remove her if she did not stop. With a scared look, she stopped and behaved herself the rest of the time.

When we were at Disney World, there were teens acting silly in line and accidentally bumping into other guests. I asked them to stop and behave themselves so people wouldn’t think all teenagers were rude and obnoxious. Everyone in line looked at me and couldn’t believe that I spoke up. The teens stopped and apologized to me and the rest of the time, they acted appropriately.

My biggest beef is when we are in line somewhere and some young people think they will cut in line. It amazes me that no one will speak up except me (unless they are another teacher). I will quickly tell them that the line is in the back and they usually look shocked that I say anything.

I can’t seem to help myself when I see young people acting inappropriately and no other adults will say anything. My husband is always telling me that he can see me put my invisible teacher hat on and take care of the situation.

I know that there are many other retired teachers who do the same thing. So, if you see an adult speaking up, you can probably guess that they were or are in the education field.


Have you ever done something like this? Please share.

No comments: