Wednesday, May 25, 2016

My Favorite Childhood Book

My favorite book (and earliest book that I remember reading) is The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.

I think I felt it was my first story book that I ever read myself because it wasn’t written in rhyme. I think at the time I felt that hats were magical. If you put on a different hat, you can be someone else. I think I read it more than once over time. For some reason, that book still stays with me some 50+ years later.

I found this book and I read it to my children as they were growing up. I liked sharing a part of my childhood with them. I even read it to my high school students because I liked sharing a part of my childhood with them too. I liked talking about why I liked it and asked my students to share their opinions too.

I think this would be a great activity for students because not that many years have gone by since they first started reading. I think it would be good as a way of getting to know my students too and allowing them to share a part of their childhood with me also.

I would ask them the following questions:
·      What is the first book you remember reading?
·      Why did you like it?
·      Would you read it to your children?

What was your favorite childhood book? How would you answer the questions? What other questions would you ask your students? Please share.


No comments: