Thursday, August 16, 2012

Reconnecting with Nature

003Sometimes I just like to get away and disconnect. It revitalizes me for the times I am connected. (We decided to go camping where I have no internet access and no phone service so if you are reading this, I am back home again.)

As I sit here and write this, I am in the wilderness sitting around a campfire waiting for the sun to come up. I have been listening to the owls as they call to each other in the dark. Above me the stars are still shining brightly. There is a brisk feel to the air so decided to start the campfire (more for comfort than for heat). When the owls are quiet, I love the stillness in the air.

Before long, the sky will get lighter and birds will emerge looking for breakfast. I love the feel of a fresh new day. I love to watch the world wake up. As I sit here quietly, I might luckily watch the deer come out looking for their breakfast too. It is a magical world and sometimes I forget about this.

Last night I fell asleep in our tent listening to the crickets and the tree frogs. It was like a night time symphony. This morning, I no longer here them and all is quiet (except for when the owls are calling each other).

Sometimes I need to get outdoors and reconnect with nature. It makes me feel wonderful!

Original Photo by Pat Hensley


Sioux said...

Yes, Pat...Getting away to disconnect often helps us reconnect. There is a "monkery" (an abbey) that I love to go to disconnect. It's isolated, no TV, no cell phone connection, no distractions...

justeneason said...

This is so very true! Nature truly revitalizes the soul and can have a tremendous impact on our lives when we stop, listen, feel, live.