Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Education Blogger Survey

clipboardIn Research: Education Bloggers from the blog Through the Looking Glass, there was a survey to help with “OU’s Institute of Educational Technology…small research project exploring communities of education blogging.” Education bloggers were asked to fill out a survey so I thought I would share my answers here:

Blog URL: http://successfulteaching.net

What do you blog about? Ideas and strategies for new and struggling teachers

Are you paid to blog? No

What do you do professionally (other than blog)? I am a retired public school teacher who taught special education for 30 years. Now I teach on the university level to teachers getting their master’s in special education.

How long have you been blogging at this site? My first post was on September 16, 2007

Do you write in other platforms? (e.g. in a print magazine?) I published my first ebook this year thru Lulu.com: http://www.lulu.com/shop/pat-hensley/useful-information-in-and-out-of-the-classroom-2011/ebook/product-18826629.html

Can you remember why you started blogging? I wanted to share my knowledge and experiences with others in order to help them be successful in the classroom.

What keeps you blogging? I have connected with so many educators out there through my blog and have shared ideas and strategies.

Do you have any idea of the size or character if your audience? How? I use Sitemeter to keep up my stats and as of 6/10/12, it said that I had about 447,000 page views. I also use ClustrMap to see where my readers are located.

What’s your attitude to/ relationship with people who comment on your blog? As long as it pertains to my post and is relevant, I appreciate any and all comments.

Do you feel as if you fit into any particular community, network or genre of blogging? (e.g. schools, science, education, museums, technology) I thought when I started that my blog might only fit in with special education but quickly realized that what I believed in and strategies I used would fit in with the general education community for all levels and all subjects.

If so, what does that community give you? I have learned so much from others. I have been able to fine tune my own beliefs as well develop new skills myself.

What do you think are the advantages of blogging? What are its disadvantages/ limitations? I think it helps others who like to read about new ideas and strategies and are able to come back to the post when needed. It also helps when people comment and start a conversation about the post. The limitation is that it is not a real time conversation so sometimes life gets in the way and the conversation falls to the wayside.

Do you tell people you know offline that you’re a blogger? (e.g. your grandmother, your boss) Yes, because I want people to know my blog is out there in case they know educators who might benefit from reading it.

Is there anything else you want to tell me about I haven’t asked? Blogging has enabled me to grow professionally. It is also thrilling to meet fellow bloggers in person when we travel around the country.

Image: 'clipboard the'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42054904@N04/3897075784

1 comment:

Gifted for Teachers and talented children said...

These educational points are wonderful & so informative because when i read them i realised that what is educational blogging!!!!!