For more pictures, click HERE.
We drove about 6 hours today to Devil’s Tower in Wyoming. The movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind was filmed here. It was amazing how big this huge geologic feature was! First we set up our tent at our campsite and then we hiked around the base of the tower. It was interesting how different it looked from different sides. While we hiked, we looked up and saw about 8 people rock climbing up the tower. I don’t think I have the strength, or the desire to do something like that.
After hiking, we went into Hulett for dinner at the Ponderosa and the meal was quite good. On the way back to the tower, we stopped and had an ice cream cone and bought some souvenirs. Then we returned to the tower to take lots more pictures! We saw the prairie dogs and it reminded me of the Whack-a-Mole game! Two were rubbing noses and I started singing Muskrat Love and got the giggles. At 9pm there was a ranger talk about porcupines which was interesting too.
What I Learned Today:
· The Devil’s Tower is more impressive in person than it is in pictures.
· The trees dropping all these white cottony stuff is cottonwood trees.
· There are rattlesnakes around Devil’s Tower (we saw one!)
· Watching prairie dogs is like watching the Whack-a-Mole game.
· Porcupines live in trees and their babies are born with quills which don’t get hard until they encounter air for a few days.
Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).
Original Photo: Devils Tower by Pat Hensley