Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Teaching is Not a Four Letter Word – Book Review

TeachingisNota4LetterWordI recently won a copy of Teaching is Not a Four Letter Word: How to Stop Worrying and Love the Job by Tom DeRosa by entering his blog contest (Check out his awesome blog I Want To Teach Forever). I am so glad I had the opportunity to read this book and I’m ashamed to say I might not have if I hadn’t won the contest.

I would like to encourage my readers to find a copy of this book and read it. It is a fast and easy read but it is absolutely inspirational. I think many new teachers would benefit from reading this as well as those teachers who need a reminder about how wonderful teaching is. Mr. D. gives lots of great suggestions and strategies that make a teacher’s life easy. Some of the lessons mentioned are ones that I do but had forgotten how important they were and that others needed to know about them too.

I also think it would be a great book for a faculty to use as staff development. At the end of the 70 lessons, there is a self assessment to find out where the reader stands. After doing the self assessment, it would be a wonderful way to open discussion as a faculty. I feel self assessment should be done on a regular basis so can make sure that we are doing the right things for the right reasons.

I plan to share this many of my friends who are teachers and hope they pass it on to others. I hope those that do not have a copy of this book consider getting one. You can find it on Lulu for $12.99 or file download for $6.25. It is also available for the Kindle for $6.25.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

No comments: