Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Life as a Mathematician

From the Fall Blog Challenge by Melanie Holtsman, this week’s topic is about Mathematics.

Challenge: When you're not at school are you still a mathematician? How do you use math to solve problems in your daily life? How did you use it today?

math I can’t imagine a day doesn’t go by that I don’t use math in some way, shape or form. Whenever I go to the store and buy something, I am using math to figure out the cost and the change. Every morning, I start the day by looking at the current temperature and the forecast so I can wear the right clothes. If I am using my checkbook, I used math to make sure my balance is correct. Even though I pay my bills online, I am using math to make sure I have enough money to pay the bills. I use time throughout the day to plan activities, for cooking, for watching TV shows. When I am cooking each day, I use measurements in adding ingredients.

I did find a wonderful site called WolframAlpha that is a lot of fun to explore because the whole site involves mathematics. There are so many examples there that show you how it can be used.

How do you use math today? Please share.

Posted on the Successful Teaching Blog by loonyhiker (successfulteaching at gmail dot com).

Original image: 'Little Professor Hand-held Calculator'
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38565056@N00/15223525 by: jason toal

3 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you for posting the picture of the calculator. I had one of those! And, it is fun to be reminded of it. :)

Nick James said...

Living in New York leads to my eating out a lot with colleagues after we knock off for the day. Splitting a check and adding tip appropriately so everyone pays a fair amount takes some solid basic math skills.

Melanie Holtsman said...

I had one of those calculators too! In my post, I wrote about my evenings with math helping my daughter with homework...but I also am spending a lot of time adding and subtracting as I watch my carbs and calories :)