This had me thinking about the reasons I read and thought it would fun to come up with a list for the reasons I read. These are not written in any order of priority but more in the order as they came to my mind. First of all, let me tell you, I love to read and have been reading at a very early age. Once my parents introduced me to the public library, I felt I entered a magic world!
I read because:
· I love to visit other places.
· I like to learn about people and enjoy books that develop the characters well.
· I escape into the story sometimes to avoid my current situation or work that has to be done.
· I find it relaxing.
· It is entertaining.
· I want to know what is happening in the news.
· I am lonely and a book is like being with a friend.
· I want to learn something new.
· It distracts me when I am worried about something.
· I am inspired by something I read that motivates me to do something new.
· I am bored.
· I want excitement without having to actually experience the risk, the danger, the sweat and the dirt.
· I want to learn what other people are thinking and feeling.
· Words have so much power when written.
· It is fun.
· I feel a connection with the characters or the author.
· I see things from a different perspective.
· It is a sequel to another book I’ve read and I don’t want the story to end.
· A book is portable and I can pretty much bring it anywhere.
· I can connect with other readers and we have something in common to talk about.
· I want to cook/bake something new and need a recipe.
· I can’t imagine a life without reading.
How many times have your heard a student ask you why they should bother learning to read? These are just some of the reasons that I would share. What are the reasons that you read?
Original image: 'A Wonderland of Books' http://www.flickr.com/photos/43217080@N00/2079997119 by: Alfonso