Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Geology in the Classroom

We have been visiting lots of national parks in our travels this 7 weeks and I am truly amazed at the beauty that surrounds me. I began to think of what wonderful lessons that can be taught using our national parks. Whether you have one close to you or whether you visit it virtually, there are so many things students can learn from them.

We have been to:
1. Mt. Rainier National Park
2. Mt. Saint Helens National Monument
3. Olympic National Park
4. Zion National Park
5. Bryce Canyon National Park
6. Grand Staircase – Escalante National Monument
7. Colorado National Monument
8. Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
9. Great Sand Dunes National Park
10. Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
11. Rocky Mountains National Park
12. Windy Cave National Park
13. Jewel Cave National Monument
14. Badlands National Park

I began to search for some online resources that would enhance geology lessons in the classroom and this is what I came up with. If you know of any other good ones, please let me know.

Photo credit: Black Canyon of the Gunnison by Pat Hensley

2 comments:

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I've saved your links and resources, and your pictures are gorgeous!

My kids love the science toys at Steve Spangler Science:

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/category/rocks-minerals

I think they've tried everything on that site except the geode stuff, because we can dig geodes out of the yard. I'd like to have a nickel for every time a huge geode has ruined our mower blades, in fact.

loonyhiker said...

@Mamacita: Thanks for the site! I forgot about that one and I love that site!