1. It would be great to compare what the major news stories are from different states or regions.
2. If we were studying the parts of the newspaper, we could look at the different parts of the front page like headlines, dates, bylines etc.
3. Have different students summarize different front page articles from different states and share with the class. They would learn what issues each state faces.
4. Look at news from other countries to see how they perceive the US.
5. Have students share their opinions of different articles.
6. Discuss “point of view” and “bias” in news reporting.
7. Discuss what makes a good headline.
8. I can also view archived front pages so it would make a great history lesson about a specific topic listed.
Can you think of other ways I could use this in the classroom? Please share your ideas and comments. Thanks!
Original image: 'Newspapers' http://www.flickr.com/photos/14031759@N00/34509259