Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Successful Whiz Kids

Reading this article “Meet the Whiz Kids” is all the more reason that the schools need to get on board with technology tools out there and start using them in the classroom. The young people are all under 21 years old and have made a name for themselves using technology. These are amazing stories to read and this could happen to any one of our students in our classrooms. It made me wish that I could put them all in one room so that I could learn from them. Just imagine what an exchange of ideas could happen if we had these kids in our classroom.
After reading their stories I had so many questions that I wanted to ask them like these:

1. How did you get started using technology?
2. How old were you when you began using technology?
3. Was it used in your schools and by your teachers?
4. How supportive were your parents with your technology usage?
5. What advice would you give other young people about technology?
6. Where do you plan to go from here?

I think the stories are very inspirational and should be motivational to teachers. These are examples of how fast students are moving forward and how teachers need to keep up. I can tell from some of the contacts I have had with my Twitter friends (some of them are students), we will be having many more of these inspirational young people coming forth in the future. As a teacher, I want to jump on that star and not get left behind in the dust.

3 comments:

Bill Gaskins said...

I am not sure my two kids are whiz kids, but I have been observing their use of technology lately. I have noticed the dependency. William (close to being a whiz kid)knows more about history and many other subjects than I do.

I have noticed that real learning does not take place in school. He plays video games, researches on wikipedia and actually edited a piece about our town in wikipedia, and much more.

William knows how to access information quickly and has a good mind for interpreting that info. I think that comes from good parenting, our ability to travel, our love for books, etc.

Interesting post. I look forward to reading further.

Clix said...

Tag! U R it!

loonyhiker said...

Bill: I remember when I went to college, I had a teacher tell me not to let college get in the way of my education. Now that I look back I believe it meant that sometimes real life can be a better teacher than all the books we taught out of.